Robotics Workshops for ages 10 – 14
Our robotics workshops are a great opportunity to practice coding and algorithmic thinking over the summer.
We are offering two workshop programs this year:
- Sustainability & The Environment: Design and build a robot that can collect and sort the recycling.
- Musical Madness: Design a dancing robot and for extra points work with another team to code a synchronised routine.
Workshops will involve building and programming a LEGO mindstorm robot. Sessions are structured as follows:
- Setting the problem: Each sessions is based around a real-world problem that needs solved. Participants will be presented with a problem and given the chance to ask questions to gather more information and start thinking about their solution.
- Developing the solution: Before we code, we learn to think algorithmaclly. We’ll learn how to use flowcharts to plan our solution. This provides an opportunity to understand conditional statements, loops and other code elements.
- Build & Code: Once we have an outline solution we will start to build our robot and develop the code.
- Testing: We rarely get it right first time, can we implement our planned solution? Does it solve the problem? Testing is a time to refine our ideas.
- Demo & Playtime: We get to show off our design and have extra LEGO to customise our building.
Venues & Times
Our dates and venues for 2019 are as follows:
- July 16th – 1.30pm to 4pm: Sustainability & The Environment- Edinburgh Academy, 42 Henderson Row, Edinburgh EH3 5BL
- July 18th – 1.30pm to 4pm: Musical Madness – Edinburgh Academy, 42 Henderson Row, Edinburgh EH3 5BL
- 30th July – 1.30pm to 4pm: Sustainability & The Environment- Meggetland, Edinburgh EH14 1XQ
- 1st August – 1.30pm to 4pm: Musical Madness – Meggetland, Edinburgh EH14 1XQ
- 13th August – 1.30pm to 4pm: Sustainability & The Environment- Dalgety Bay
- 15th August – 2pm to 4.30pm: Musical Madness – Dunfermline Scout Hall
Workshops are £25pp.
Participants will work in pairs and threes. It is therefore important children are comfortable with team work.
We will have a short snack break during the session